The Bioengineering graduate program at UC San Diego is one of the top in the country and actively seeks the brightest students. This section contains information about the requirements and procedures for applying to the Bioengineering program. Please look over it carefully, as it may answer many of your questions.
The application deadline for all Bioengineering graduate degree programs for Fall 2022 is Wednesday, December 1, 2021 at 11:59pm PST.
NOTE: The department only offers Fall admission. Admission is not available for Winter or Spring terms.
The application is available online through the Graduate Admissions Office on the Graduate Division website at https://connect.grad.ucsd.edu/apply/. Hard copy applications are not available.
If you are experiencing technical issues with the application, please contact the Bioengineering Student Affairs Office at email@example.com.
NOTE: Effective Fall 2022 and thereafter the GRE is no longer required for admission, and we do not recommend submitting scores.
- Statement of Purpose
- Submit via the online application
- Limit of 1200 words (approximately 2 pages)
A helpful guide to get start is available on the Graduate Division website at https://grad.ucsd.edu/admissions/requirements/statement-of-purpose.html
- Three Letters of Recommendation
- Submit via the online application directly by the recommender. Further instructions on how recommenders upload letters are available in the application.
- Letters of recommendation should come from individuals who can attest to your academic and/ or professional competencies and to the depth of your interest in pursuing graduate study. Letters can come from faculty, instructors, and/ or professional supervisors. Letters should not come from family members or other students.
- For International Applicants Only: Official TOEFL or IELTS Scores
- Request the Educational Testing Service (ETS) send official scores to UC San Diego Institutional Code 4836. A department code is not needed.
- We require applicants to have a minimum overall TOEFL score of 85 with a minimum speaking score of 23 or higher. For IELTS, applicants must have a minimum overall band score and speaking score of 7.0 or higher
- Official Transcripts of Prior Institutions Attended
- You may upload transcripts directly to the online application for initial review. Please view the uploaded transcripts for clarity. Illegible transcripts will disqualify your application from review.
- Do not send official transcripts until requested to do so. If you are admitted, you will be given instructions on how to submit official transcripts from all prior institutions.
The Department supports most full-time graduate students at the Ph.D. level. Financial support is available in the form of fellowships, traineeships, teaching assistantships (TAships), and research assistantships (GSRs). Sources of funding include university fellowships and traineeships from National Institutes of Health (NIH) training grants. Awarding of financial support is competitive, and stipends average $34,000.00 for the academic year in addition to the coverage of tuition, fees, and health insurance.
- U.S. Citizens and Permanent Residents
U.S. Citizens and Permanent Residents must establish California Residency by the start of the second year as Non-Resident Supplemental Tuition (NRST) will only be paid in the first year. More information about establishing California Residency for tuition purposes is found on the Registrars’ Office website at https://students.ucsd.edu/finances/fees/residence/about.html.
This does not apply to international students.
- M.S or M.Eng.
The Department does not offer financial support to students at the M.S. or M.Eng. level. Masters students are encouraged to seek information on how to fund their education from the sources listed in the “Financial Support Links” section below.
- Financial Support Links
For further information, call (858) 822-1604 or contact our office at:
University of California, San Diego, Bioengineering Graduate Student Affairs, 9500 Gilman Drive - MC 0419, La Jolla, CA 92093-0419